segunda-feira, 21 de setembro de 2015

#21 my favourite quote

Hello, cuties! After almost a week of not posting on this blog - starting uni really messed me up this week - and a bit of guilt for not following the Blog-tember Challenge, I am back! I don't know if I'm gonna keep up with it everyday, but I will try.

As soon as I saw today's prompt, I knew I had to write about it:

A favorite quote/expression and how it has impacted you.

My favourite quote EVER is from Grey's Anatomy, season 11, episode 14. In this episode, Amelia Shepherd removed a brain tumor from a fellow doctor from the hospital, even though that intervention made this doctor blind. The surgery was really, really long, and the tumor was really bad, but they beat it. And you know how in Grey's Anatomy there are these "speeches" or whatever you want to call it, in the beginning and the end of the episode? Well, here is that episode's "speech". I wrote it on my planner as a source of inspiration for my daily life.


(I apologize for my awful handwriting on this page! If I had known I would publish this on my blog, I'd have written it in a prettier way).

In 1888 William Williams Keen became one of the first surgeons to successful remove a brain tumor. A big win. It's true. You can look it up. What’s harder to find, however, are stories of all the times Ole Double Billy K tried to pull a tumor out of a brain and lost. The losses must have happened. A surgeon must always be prepared to lose and in Neurosurgery, with the big tumors, we lose those battles as often as we succeed. The key though, win or lose, is to never fail. The only way to fail is not to fight. So you fight until you can’t fight anymore. Hold up your head and enter the arena and face the enemy. Fight until you can’t fight anymore. Never let go. Never give up. Never run. Never surrender. Fight the good fight. You fight even when it seems inevitable that you’re about to go down swinging.
Why do we even try when the barriers are so high and the odds are so low? Why don’t we just pack it in and go home? It’d be so, so much easier. It's because in the end, there’s no glory in easy. No one remembers easy. They remember the blood and the bones and the long agonizing fight to the top. And that is how you become legendary. - Amelia Shepherd (Season11, Ep.14-The Distance)

I first watched this episode last June, while I was studying for my Neuroanatomy exam, which really fit the situation. And these whole paragraphs inspired me to keep studying and working hard, no matter how exhausted I felt, because "the only way to fail is not to fight". 
As I have mentioned before, I am really passionate about Medicine and about the perspective of helping people in my future. I don't want to do it so that people can find me legendary or a superhero. I don't necessarily want to be remembered or to win big awards. I want to work and fight to save people's lives, to make people happy and healthy. And that's the goal I work towards everyday.

Other quotes that have had a huge impact on me:
"In spite of everything I still believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank
"We accept the love we think we deserve" - Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower


What is your favourite quote?


Brave Love Blog

lots of love,
Mariana

4 comentários:

  1. Grey's Anatomy has SO many incredible quotes and opening/ending lines. I have many Grey's quotes written in my notebook where I keep all the quotes I love.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Oh my goodness, that is awesome! What an inspiring quote to persevere even through failures and setbacks!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad I had this chance to share it :)

      Eliminar