domingo, 16 de agosto de 2015

on being an outgoing introvert



Ever since I was little, I’ve been a big talker. For as long as I can remember, I’ve been able to talk and talk and talk until my cheeks hurt and my throat feels dry. I smile and laugh a lot, even to strangers, sometimes. However, talking exhausts me. Socializing, in general, does that to me, but it doesn’t mean I don’t love people or that I’m anti-social. I only need to regain energy by being alone from time to time, and it’s always been a struggle for me to accept that.

It started when I was in middle school. I’d panic if people seemed to forget about me for a second, but on the other hand, I couldn’t “be cool” all the time. I felt really comfortable reading The Princess Diaries in the school library, but I knew that, if I just sat and read all day, I would lose my friends. So I would get up and make up topics of conversation in my head so I wouldn’t feel so awkward all the time. Those were dark days for me, because I couldn’t accept myself as I was. I had to be like them. I had to belong. (Spoiler: I belonged, as I was. Those friends were by my side through my depression. I just couldn’t see it.)

Things got slightly better in high school, because my friends were mostly as awkward as I was. I could feel that they were figuring themselves out as well. Oh, my. Those were happy days. I didn’t have that many friends, but they were all very close to my heart. There was no stupid small talk or awkwardness, even though we were pretty silly most of the time.

 However, most of them are highly extroverted, and they prefer going to big parties and clubbing all night than, you know, just sitting around talking in a small party. And that freaking exhausts me. Not that I can’t have fun at clubs, it’s just that, if I go to a lot of those parties, I start to hate them because I have no room to be myself there. And that kinda set me apart from them. It hurts sometimes, but that’s life, and I still love them a lot.

In college, I’ve found more people I can relate to, so right now, I’m really happy with the state of my life and I feel like I don’t have to pretend anymore! I still kept two of my best friends as well. They really get me. And my boyfriend, too. We are happy as long as we’re together, whether we’re discussing the ways of life or we’re quiet and gazing at the stars.

I still have to plan ahead to meet people, or else I'll get very anxious. Sometimes that's really stinky because I feel like other people don't do that, they just go with the flow, but I don't work like that. And it's okay.

I’m an outgoing introvert. I love people and I have fun talking, but I need my alone time (something my family sometimes doesn’t understand) or else, I’ll be all exhausted, annoyed and insufferable. And I’m okay with that. Even when people ask me why I've been inside my room all day, or if it's because of them that I want to be alone.

I'm writing this so that anyone who can relate with my story can know that they're not alone. Being an introvert doesn't mean that you're anti-social or unhappy. It's totally okay and normal! Remember to respect yourself and your needs, and to accept who you are - that's my advice.

lots of love,
Mariana

(this was adapted from a tumblr post I just wrote!)

20 comentários:

  1. I can definitely relate to this. I need my time at home--it doesn't have to be alone, my husband can be there, or my family--currently, there is no day of the week when I am not doing things with other, non-family people, and I am finding myself feeling very drained.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. I totally feel you! I hope you can find some time to regain energy soon. :) It's so important and underrated!

      Eliminar
  2. I'm like that too, except I started more on the introvert side, was super quiet until I started opening up through high school and college, and now seem like an extrovert but looove to be alone to re-charge!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I totally understand. I'm very much like that. I have become more and more introverted as I have grown up though. Thanks for sharing.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Thanks for this post Mariana! I have been spending a good couple of years figuring out myself and feeling frustrated over my introvertedness but as I have been remaining on the road to recovery, I am coming to think I am more of an outgoing introvert. This sounds so much like me- so comforting :)

    Katie

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. Thank you for your nice comment! I know I've done something right when so many people let me know that they could relate to my post. I'm really happy right now! :)

      Eliminar
  5. this is totally me! I am an outgoing introvert too :) I feel so lonely/sad if I sit around the house for a few days. I NEED to be around people! But, I can only handle so much and, like you, I prefer quieter settings. Big parties just exhaust me.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Yes!!! This is totally me! People who barely know me gasp when I say I'm an introvert. People EXHAUST me!! :) I can talk and play with the best, but afterwards you can find me in a quiet corner!!

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Yes!!! This is totally me! People who barely know me gasp when I say I'm an introvert. People EXHAUST me!! :) I can talk and play with the best, but afterwards you can find me in a quiet corner!!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Yes!!! This is totally me! People who barely know me gasp when I say I'm an introvert. People EXHAUST me!! :) I can talk and play with the best, but afterwards you can find me in a quiet corner!!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. I can relate to this! I am same way! I'm a HUGE talker, but after a while I get tired and need some alone time haha. I get exhausted from people, even though I love talking and being with them, but after a while it becomes annoying and I need a nap to gain some energy back ha.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respostas
    1. That's exactly it! You're definitely not alone in this :)

      Eliminar
  10. I am an out going introvert. I do understand socializing with others and it be exhausting. Yes, I do have to some down time. Overall, I love people and serving others. I am good with how God designed me.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I can relate to this even in my 40's. All my life I've been told that I am an introvert, but upon studying personalities over the last few years, I believe I come to realize that I am indeed and outgoing introvert. It's tough. It's draining at times.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. My husband is an introvert and I am so grateful that he is. I always tell him, "Well, we both can't run around being crazy." He laughs, but I think he secretly gets a kick out of watching me be an extrovert.

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I enjoy people, but I do need my "me" time. If I do not, I'm not cranky or annoyed, just a little deflated. Thanks for this, glad to hear there are more people like me out there.

    ResponderEliminar